Being from California, experiencing all seasons was rare. Moving to the PNW, my heart fell in love! Here’s why Autumn is my favorite season.
If you read about me, I am from the Bay Area in a city where fog was around most, if not, all year round. Except for maybe 2 weeks in September. I didn’t experience many other seasons unless it was on TV. It wasn’t until I moved to Washington in October that I really experienced my first Autumn…and oh my word! It immediately became my favorite season!
The colors! The crisp air! Crunching leaves!I never felt a strong inclination toward any season. But that first month in Washington, I knew right away that Autumn pulled at my heartstrings.
- The turning of the leaves… It is so glorious to watch all the different trees, all clothed in greens during summer, start fading into so many brilliant arrays of reds, oranges, and yellows. I’ve seen deep purples and reds, bright yellows and gold, and crisp oranges, all in one frame of sight. This, out of everything Autumn, is what I love THE MOST!
- The cold, crisp air… this, and specifically this, marks the turn of the season for me. When I feel that first cold wisp of air, I go looking for my favorite scarves and pull out all my Autumn/Winter gear (puffy vests and jackets, gloves, scarves, boots, cozy socks, etc). Comfy cozy is the best!
- Things start to slow down and get a bit quieter. I’m not sure what it is exactly. All I know is that when the cold hits, the sounds of summer hustle and bustle seem to still and quiet down. Maybe the density of the air changes and sounds just don’t travel as much. All you hear is nature, birds chirping, leaves rustling…
Favorite Autumn clothes
- I have so many different scarves. But I always seem to alternate between 2-3 of them; they’re usually all variations of black or any other dark or warm colors.
- I also love fun socks! Socks with fun and colorful designs… When I used to work in biotech, I always wore fun socks to make my days more entertaining. It was my only way to express a different side of me. But it was something that was not always seen. But when this season rolls around with everything warm and cozy, the long and colorful and fun socks start to make their appearance.
- My other favorite autumn item has a background. I was in Catholic school from middle to junior high school. So I wore a uniform. But I realized I could express myself through my shoes; so I chose army boots, or fake Doc Martens. While I was teased for it, it was still my favorite accessory. In high school, I had a dress code. But I still wore boots. I just love when Autumn comes around because it’s boots season!!
Favorite Autumn recipes
This is the season when everything pumpkin spice comes out. I know many people who dislike this seasonal spice. I am not one of them. I love pumpkin spice. I love all pumpkin smells. I also tend toward the molasses smells, too. Yum yum… Here are my top 3 foods I enjoy during this time.
- Molasses crinkle cookies! My mouth is watering just thinking of it. This is a similar recipe to the one I use regularly. What I love most about this cookie is the chewiness and the deep molasses flavor.
- Pumpkin spice lattes are a nice hot treat for the cold Autumn air. I typically get my fix from the BUX. But here is a recipe I found on Pinterest. I just love that it comes close to pumpkin pie in a cup!
- Pumpkin bread… and when I add chocolate chips, my whole house enjoys it more. There are a ton of different pumpkin bread recipes around. Here is just one of those many. Add a bit of chocolate chips to it. Stick the batter into muffin tins instead. Yum…
Final Fall favorite thoughts
With the end of Autumn just a few short days away, I just wanted to pay a sort of homage to my favorite season. So get out while you can, while it’s still nice and crisp and colorful. Afterwards, enjoy a warm, cinnamon-/pumpkin-filled goodie of your choice! This is the time to slow down…and breathe…